Nope, instead I'm going to focus on the before and after. Let's start with these before pictures, one with natural light, and the other with a flash. I love how the flash highlights the dirt.
To clean the bobbin case, everything has to come out. That is no easy feat since dried oil and lint seem to be the original recipe for super glue. I knew I was in for it when I saw this as I started to loosen the first screw.
Yuck! That's kind of icky.
However, it's going to be really satisfying to clean and it gives me some insight into Freddie Mae, the original that is.
For example, I know she took excellent care of this machine until it went into storage. Sure, it's obvious that the lint wasn't cleaned out the last time the machine was used, but there isn't a huge build up either. Probably just a few sewing projects since the last cleaning.
I can also tell that she kept the machine well oiled, which was far more important than getting every spec of lint out back in the day. That oil preserved the machine and kept rust at bay over all these years. The only downside is that countless summers spent in an attic baked the lint and oil into cement.
However, perseverance, the right tools and Liquid Wrench will always win in the end and I did manage to get all the parts out with only a few minor hiccups.
And these are the parts before and after cleaning.
I love it when a part I think is painted turns out to just be dirty.